Wednesday, February 22

PlayStation Vita Launch: Once more unto the breach

Ever since I've been earning real money, every console launch feels like an intense battle between my impulses and my near non-existent sense of self-control.

Believe it or not, during the launch of the 3DS, Self-Control had some important victories. With the PlayStation Vita arriving tomorrow, however, Impulse is proving that those victories were due in great part to Nintendo not having their shit together when it came to day one releases for their new portable. Two games worth owning (Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars for those interested), with very little to look forward to until what would end up being the end of 2011. Sure, the 3DS' outlook is far rosier than it was in March/April last year; but I'll admit that I still look back with my fair share of bitterness at what was the most lacklustre console launch since that of the Nokia N-Gage.

What I'm trying to say is: I've already spent so much money on the Vita and I don't even have one in my hands.

\
It's crazy when you think about it. $350 for the console bundled with a copy of Ridge Racer (a game that I wouldn't have thought to purchase on its own), $65 for a proprietary storage device, nearly $200 on five games in transit from the United Kingdom (thanks ozgameshop!), and what I'm sure will end up being about another 2 or 3 hundred dollars more when the PlayStation Store updates with all those wonderful digital downloads sometime in the next twenty-four hours. Will I end up playing these games enough to feel as though I've gotten my money's worth? No chance in hell. Will I fell like a big man for approximately 3.5 days? Abso-freaking-lutely!

I know it's wrong to complain about being blessed with an overabundance, but I realise now - more than ever - that I have a serious problem. The appeal of a shiny new console tears away at my defenses and leaves my wallet open to larceny of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae proportions. I could be saving this money and put it towards the dream of a pet-friendly apartment in Melbourne. But then again, if I did, how would I pay for all those launch titles?

If this was a series of tweets, each would be marked with the hashtag #firstworldproblems. Please dismiss this post as the excited ramblings of a  twenty-something year old child.

Who's picking up a Vita tomorrow? Don't tell mw I'm alone on this one?

2 comments:

  1. oh man, I know how you feel...I get giddy like a child on Christmas every time one of these shiny, new systems comes out I feel that I need to grab all the cool launch titles and accessories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Word. I ended grabbing 10 launch titles and a few extra PSP games. I have a problem...

    ReplyDelete